Friday, February 1, 2008

The man from Holland, Manchego and the light

This is my second trip to Antigua and second stay at Casa Cristina. Last trip I met my now dear friend Paula who was also staying in my hotel. This trip I've already made a new friend Aziz, a camera man from Holland, who is staying next to me and studying Spanish here. He's handsome and fun and we have a lot in common. We went out last night and had a late tea and a snack. We walked the nearly empty streets laughing wildly and telling each other stories about our travels. He's a lot of fun. Tonight we're off to dinner and drinks and some quality silly time. I love meeting fellow travelers on my journey's. Good people out there if you allow yourself to let them in.

kathy%20just%20for%20fun.jpg

A special thanks to my girl Leslie for making me this fabulous pic!

I walked the streets for hours yesterday, my first day here, took a nap and then treated myself to my favorite little Tapas place here, Sangre. Fried Manchego cheese with that delish hibiscous dipping sauce and coconut crusted shrimp with a divinely sweet chutney sauce were savored. My waiter treated me to a second glass of wine, a fabulous Tempranillo, and though I only drank a wee bit of it I can tell you it was nothing less than fabulous. Of course he then asked me out, but I have my staple response in these situations now: I'm meeting someone later. Works like a charm! Men can be just too sweet sometimes. Truly...

I still can't speak Spanish and I know I need to get a tutor and get to it already. I'm damn good at improvisation though and often wing my way through by miming what I want. I also make people laugh which is just fine by me. I often lapse into Italian when trying to order food and the occasional French as well. Now if only Spanish would find its way to me!

I haven't been able to upload photos yet but will do later. I'll throw some up when I get a chance. Some of the places offering Wi-Fi have REALLY slow connections.

The light is spectacular here. Last night I watched the clouds move in and the full moon was so clear and vibrant I thought it was a mirage. The light at dusk is so warm and embracing I can't help but smile when I walk the streets. There is magic here. There really is...

Off to another latte and some yogurt, granola and fruit.

Life is so damn good at times, you know?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your writing makes me smile - I get excited when you start to tell about a trip.

Can't wait to read more.